Intro and Overview
APA style and paper guidelines
- Template paper
- APA style “catching mistakes” exercise
- Deciphering journal articles handout
- Jordan and Zanna (1999). How to read an article in social psychology.
- Cudmore, B. (Nov 2014). Five ways to lie with charts. Nautilus Magazine.
- Interactive federal budget for 2015
- Healy, K. (February 3, 2015) Another look at the California vaccination data. kieranhealy.org [Blog post]
- Schmidt, B. (2015). Gendered language in student evaluations.
- Kurilla, B (Feb 5, 2015). A day in the life of a college student. Geek Psychologist. [Blog Post]
- Vanderbilt, T. (Nov, 2014). How your brain decides without you. Nautilus Magazine.
- von Hemlholtz, H. (1894). The origin and correct interpretation of our sense impressions.
- Demonstrations – enter your data using this link
- Online Stroop Effect – demo
- Muller Lyer Illusion – demo
- Horizontal-vertical illusion – demo
- Face Perception – sign up for an account login,
- Then click on “Experiments” in the right bar
- Do two experiments: “What emotion? (male faces)” and “What emotion? (female faces)”
- Moving ring silences color changes – demo
- Start at 90%, watch for a few seconds, then move down by 5% until you notice something
- Record the % at which you noticed
- Behrens, R. (1987). The life and unusual ideas of Adelbert Ames. Leonardo, v20. 3. pp 273-279
- Ittleson, W. (1952). The Ames demonstrations in perception. (selections)
- Rock, I. (1983). The logic of perception. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. (selections)
- Freiburg vision test
The Dress Readings
- Collection of popular articles about the dress
- Disrobing the dress – NYU advanced illusion class
- Motoyoshi, Nishida, Sharan & Adelson (2007 ) Image statistics and the perception of surface qualities
- Köhler, W. (1969). The task of Gestalt Psychology. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Fun lab/demo activities
Two Visual Systems
- Goodale.M.A. and Milner, A.D. (2011) Sight unseen: An exploration of conscious and unconscious vision. Oxford University Press.
- Ng, A (2015) Google Brain’s co-inventor tells why he’s building Chinese neural networks.
- Marr, D. (1982). Vision: A computational investigation into the human representation and processing of visual information, San Francisco: Freeman
- Proffitt, D. R. (1999) Inferential vs ecological approaches to perception
Proffitt, D.R. (2006) Embodied perception. Perspectives on Psychological Science